GemPhones is the bridge for music and fashion when it meets technology. But our design cures one major problem...tangled headphones. People who wear their earphones 3-5 times a day could spend up to 876 hours a year fighting with their earphones. That's 1 whole year in the next 10 years wasted on tangles. Our friends over The Pond conducted a study on this horrific matter.
The Digital Newsroom UK writes...
Brits spend up to 69 hours every year time-wasting at the gym
August 19, 2013
Survey reveals that gym-goers could be wasting more than 35% of their time at the gym on tasks such as untangling headphones and choosing music
A survey conducted by Harpers Fitness has revealed that whilst many gym members are working out a healthy four times a week, many of them are wasting more than a third of their workout time on tasks including choosing music, untangling headphones, checking their phones, filling their water bottles and adjusting clothes or trainers
With recent research claiming that 80% of adults are not doing enough to keep fit, it looks like even those spending time in the gym, could be wasting more minutes than they realize.
Respondents indicated that they spent up to 2 hours in the gym between two and four times every week, but wasted up to 20 minutes on these extra tasks, which adds up to a whopping 69 hours every year.
It seems that gym bunnies up and down the country are picky when it comes to the music they work out to, with 55% of the respondents indicating that this is what takes up most of their time when they are not working out.
And it seems that we’re a chatty bunch when in the gym, with 32% of people saying talking to other gym goers takes time away from working out, followed closely by 30% of people reporting they spend up to 10 minutes a session untangling headphones.
Off the back of this, Harpers Fitness has put together its top five tips for maximizing time in the gym:
1. To stop yourself being one of the 55% wasting time choosing music, why not create your playlist at home beforehand? You can even create a few different playlists for different types of workout – whether you’re planning on being on the treadmill, cross trainer or lifting weights, you will always know you’ve got your favourite tracks to look forward to.
2. What’s the solution for those unruly headphones? Ear bud styles are the worst offenders for becoming tangled in a gym bag, so treat yourself to a case to keep them untangled and easy to use.
3. Distracted by chatting to friends or other gym-goers? Try training with a PT once a week – the perfect solution for chatterboxes across the country.
4. Turn off your phone. A simple tip, but why not ban yourself from texting, checking social media or browsing the internet whilst working out?
5. Adjusting clothes and trainers is often a task you can’t get out of – but it’s important to check you’re wearing the right size clothes, trainers, and, of course, sports bra to make sure you’re comfortable and ready to start your workout.
Kevin Yates, Head of Fitness, Marketing and Communications at Harpers Fitness, commented:
We wanted to get an idea of what our members are spending time on at the gym apart from exercise and this survey has revealed some time consuming habits! Your time at the gym shouldn’t be spent untangling headphones, choosing music or checking your phone and we hope this makes gym-goers more aware of the time they spend exercising and the time they spend NOT exercising.
Read more comments at here.